Sunday, February 27, 2011

Leaving Paradise by Simone Elkeles

Nothing has been the same since Caleb Becker left a party drunk, got behind the wheel, and hit Maggie Armstrong. Even after months of painful physical therapy, Maggie walks with a limp. Her social life is nil and a scholarship to study abroad—her chance to escape everyone and their pitying stares—has been canceled.
After a year in juvenile jail, Caleb’s free . . . if freedom means endless nagging from a transition coach and the prying eyes of the entire town. Coming home should feel good, but his family and ex-girlfriend seem like strangers.
Caleb and Maggie are outsiders, pigeon-holed as "criminal" and "freak." Then the truth emerges about what really happened the night of the accident and, once again, everything changes. It’s a bleak and tortuous journey for Caleb and Maggie, yet they end up finding comfort and strength from a surprising source: each other.

It's been a very long time since i've read non-fictional-creatures books. I don't enjoy them much, that's why I read fictional-creatures-books. But it didn't happen with Leaving Paradise. First of all I loved how it alternated the points of view, cause first-person-narrator books are my favorites. I also loved the plot, when I started reading it I was thinking that that was a very common plot. But as I kept on reading, my family heard on hearing my occasional "NO!" or my typical "NO MA!!" (that kind of a 'no way' in spanish). I also loved the characters, it's not the average teenagers who have issues, it goes beyond that. When I was done with it I wanted to buy the next one! I really don't enjoy cheesy romantic books, but this wasn't a cheesy romantic book. It was something else it was a romantic book but in an exciting kind of way, "excitedly romantic". I recommend this book to everyone who is looking for something good to read. It doesn't have to be something specific, just a good read. Believe me, you will fall in love with the book. 


How many stars?
5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment