Monday, July 25, 2011

The Lying Game by Sara Shepard

I had a life anyone would kill for.
Then someone did.
The worst part of being dead is that there’s nothing left to live for. No more kisses. No more secrets. No more gossip. It’s enough to kill a girl all over again. But I’m about to get something no one else does—an encore performance, thanks to Emma, the long-lost twin sister I never even got to meet.
Now Emma’s desperate to know what happened to me. And the only way to figure it out is to be me—to slip into my old life and piece it all together. But can she laugh at inside jokes with my best friends? Convince my boyfriend she’s the girl he fell in love with? Pretend to be a happy, carefree daughter when she hugs my parents good night? And can she keep up the charade, even after she realizes my murderer is watching her every move?


Where to start with this book? I have never read the Pretty Little Liars books, I watched like two episodes of the show, so I really didn't know what to expect of this book. And I didn't pick it up because it was being made into a show. But I did pick this book up in the bookstore over and over again and didn't buy it until now. First of all, wow. What a book. It had me hooked every single page. Literally every single page. As in I stayed up at night to finish the book because it had me. The narrator, the way the story was told was truly unique. How it changes points of view, but it doesn't at all. It's amazing how Sutton is an important character in the story but it's actually there in a couple of chapters. When reading you actually forget that it is her who is narrating the story, only when the she/he changes to an I you remember that she is there watching everyone. And I think it adds certain mystery to the book, apart from the killer's identity, is that Sutton doesn't remember anything. It was really clever what the author did here, she left unanswered questions so that people can't wait to read the next book. I call it clever...others might call it cruel.  And the game. Some may say pranks are for kids, but this book only shows that you are never too old for them, because as you get older, the game gets harder. In general, all I can say, is that this book was a big surprise for me. It had it all. Mystery, bitchiness in it's most pure state, ghosts and high heels. What more could you ask for?

How many stars?
5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment