Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Dead-Tossed Waves by Carrie Ryan

Gabry lives a quiet life. As safe a life as is possible in a town trapped between a forest and the ocean, in a world teeming with the dead, who constantly hunger for those still living. She’s content on her side of the Barrier, happy to let her friends dream of the Dark City up the coast while she watches from the top of her lighthouse. But there are threats the Barrier cannot hold back. Threats like the secrets Gabry’s mother thought she left behind when she escaped from the Sisterhood and the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Like the cult of religious zealots who worship the dead. Like the stranger from the forest who seems to know Gabry. And suddenly, everything is changing. One reckless moment, and half of Gabry’s generation is dead, the other half imprisoned. Now Gabry only knows one thing: she must face the forest of her mother’s past in order to save herself and the one she loves.




This book, despite being the second one of the series, didn't fail to make me love it. I mention the second book part before because many second books of the series have disappointed me. And it's always that famous saying that goes "Oh the first book was waaaay better than the second one." But that didn't happen with this book. What this book had that many books have failed to give me, and until now I hadn't realized I was craving it, was a good surprise. You guys know the surprise, that part of a certain book when you gasp loudly and just read that surprising part over and over again cause you just can't believe that it's true. Tat book gave me that surprise I was missing. I'm not gonna post what it is here cause I'm no big fan of spoilers. Also, I loved how this book had a different main character from the first book, but still managed to connect this book to the last one. It was really accurate how these two books were connected and I loved it. A part that I really consider important in a book, for me to keep reading it, is to have a hook at the end of some chapters. It is important for the author to keep you wondering. And by adding a hook at the end of a chapter they just make you want to keep reading. It happened when reading Hunger Games, and this book had it as well. As I have mentioned before, I happen to love dark books. This book (as well as the last one) happened to be a dark book but it always had that little light of hope that makes you want to keep reading and pray that things get better for the main character. Because, let's face it, in books, especially this books, it's the author's job to make the main character's life as miserable and complicated as possible. This book kept me hooked and I just loved it. I recommend it for everyone looking for a good read. Did I ever imagine myself saying all these about a zombie book? No I did not. Which is a really good sign. 


How many stars?
Five stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment