Saturday, March 26, 2011

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

An ancient prophecy divides two sisters-

One good...

One evil...

Who will prevail?

Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets. 

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust each other.




This book surprised me. It had been sitting on my shelf for a while, and always thought I had something better to read, so it took a while for me to pick it up and read it. And I wish I would have read it sooner, because I loved it. I loved how it was set in the 1800s, it gave a good essence to the story. I had to admit I judged the book by it's title before reading it, and I'm not proud. I thought this book would be about the typical prophecy that said that the 'chosen one' (cause there's always a chosen one) will save them all and that dark things would do anything to stop the one. This book kind of had a little of that, but it was different. The prophecy seemed genuine, original and yet believable. I also loved how the book had a little bit of everything. It had a little bit of romance, adventure, fantasy and thriller. It managed to keep me hooked without overdoing the events that happened in the book. What I always analyze more than anything in books are the characters, and Alice was a character that really stuck out. She wasn't actually there in every single part of the story, actually, she wasn't there a lot. But her presence was always there, everywhere. She was a different kind of villain, she was evil in a way that cannot be described. One last thing I loved about it that is not always found in other books, is the darkness of the story. It's this lugubrious setting and environment that made the story what it is, and the presence of death through the story it's what made it so believable and relatable. I highly recommend this book. 


How many stars?
5 stars

0 comments:

Post a Comment